© David Prince
Moroccan-Style Squash Stew
- SERVINGS: 4
- One 1 1/2-pound winter squash—peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- One 14-ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 parsnip, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a large baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the oil and roast for 15 minutes. In a large saucepan, toast the cumin, coriander and paprika over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Add the squash, broth, tomatoes, carrot, parsnip, cayenne, cinnamon and toasted spices. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Uncover, add the chickpeas and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and lemon juice and serve.
Notes One Serving Calories 305 kcal, Total fat 13 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm.