- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 scallions, white and tender green, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 cup Japanese bread crumbs (panko) or coarse stale bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Cilantro-Orange Dressing
- Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Add the red pepper and celery and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the vegetables are just softened, about 2 minutes. Add the scallions and ginger and cook until the scallions are wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cumin, turmeric and cardamom and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the cream and boil until reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Add the crabmeat to the cream mixture along with 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of the bread crumbs, 1 1/2 tablespoons each of the parsley and chives, and the lemon zest. Season with cayenne and salt and mix gently but thoroughly.
- With moistened hands, shape the crab mixture into 8 cakes, using a scant 1/3 cup for each; the cakes should be about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick. Spread the remaining bread crumbs on a large plate. Coat the crab cakes with the bread crumbs and transfer to a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil in a medium nonstick skillet. Add half of the crab cakes and cook until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining canola oil and crab cakes. Arrange the crab cakes on plates, drizzle with the Cilantro-Orange Dressing and garnish with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon each of the parsley and chives.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.