© John Kernick
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 30 bonbons
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced almonds (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios (2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (3 ounces)
- 1 pound moist pitted dates, chopped
- 4 pitted kalamata or dry-cured Moroccan olives, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon orange flower water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast for about 4 minutes, until golden. Let the almonds cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the pistachios to a coarse powder. Transfer the pistachio powder to a plate. Add the toasted almonds to the processor and grind to a coarse powder. Add the walnuts, dates, olives, ginger, honey, orange zest, cinnamon, cardamom, orange flower water and salt and process to a paste.
- Scoop up scant tablespoons of the date mixture and roll into balls. Roll the balls in the pistachio powder to coat them completely and serve.
The bonbons can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
One Piece 85 cal, 4 gm fat, 0.3 gm sat fat, 13 gm carb, 2 gm fiber, 2 gm protein.