Moroccan Chickpea Flat Breads
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES SIXTEEN 6-INCH LOAVES
These breads are very quick to make as they only need to rise once. They're great for dipping in spreads and for stuffing with salads, salsas and grilled meat.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 envelopes dry active yeast (2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon)
- 7 1/2 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
- One 15-ounce can chickpeasdrained, rinsed and coarsely mashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- In a small skillet, toast the cumin and coriander seeds over moderately high heat until fragrant, shaking the pan frequently, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spices to a spice grinder and let cool, then grind coarsely.
- In a small bowl, mix the warm water with the honey and yeast and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Put the 7 1/2 cups of flour in a large bowl and stir in the chickpeas, spices and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the dough becomes very stiff.
- Scrape the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until silky and smooth, about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking. Form the dough into a ball and return it to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Punch down the dough and divide it into 16 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball and let rest on a lightly floured work surface for 15 minutes.
- Roll out each piece of dough to an irregular 6-inch oval. Working quickly, set 4 of the flat breads directly on the rack in the upper third of the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden and puffed, like pita. Using tongs, transfer the loaves to a rack. Let the oven return to 450° before baking the remaining loaves. Serve warm.
Make Ahead The flat breads can be stored in a sturdy plastic bag at room temperature for 2 days or frozen for 1 month. Reheat before serving. Serve With Smashed Zucchini with Garlic, Chiles and Mint