- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 5 large carrots (1 1/2 pounds), halved crosswise
- Kosher salt
- 1 orange—1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 lemon—1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jalapeño—halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, cumin and caraway and cook over moderately low heat until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the carrots, a generous pinch of salt and enough water to just cover the carrots and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, turning once, until crisp-tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the carrots to a plate. Let cool completely, then cut into 1/2-inch rounds.
- Meanwhile, boil the braising liquid over moderately high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes. Stir in the orange and lemon zest and juice.
- In a serving bowl, toss the carrots with the jalapeño and the reduced braising liquid and season with salt. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour. Stir in the cilantro and mint and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.