Morel Cream Sauce
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/3 CUPS
Serve this sauce on top of buttered toast, over mashed potatoes or with fettuccine, roast chicken, veal or panfried trout.
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 1 ounce dried morels
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large minced shallot
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Cover the morels with the boiling water and let soften for 30 minutes. Rub the morels in the liquid to remove grit. Transfer them to a bowl; cut any large ones in half. Reserve the liquid. In a saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the shallot and cook until translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in the morels and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the mushroom liquid, stopping when you reach the grit. Boil over high heat to reduce by half, about 6 minutes. Add the cream and thyme, then simmer over moderately high heat until reduced by a third, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the lemon juice.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.