Monte Cristo Strata
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 8
In this rich and hearty dish, bread, ham and cheese are baked in an eggy custard; grainy mustard and tarragon add a lovely, vibrant flavor.
- Softened butter
- One 1 1/4-pound loaf bakery white bread—crusts removed, bread sliced (about 18 slices)
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1 pound thinly sliced Virginia ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 pound Gruyère cheese, coarsely shredded (3 cups)
- 3 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° and butter a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange one-third of the bread in the bottom of the dish and spread with half of the mustard. Top with half of the ham, 1 tablespoon of the tarragon and one-third of the Gruyère cheese. Repeat the layering, leaving off the last layer of cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk with the eggs and season generously with black pepper. Pour the custard evenly over the dish, pressing the bread to absorb the liquid. Pat the remaining cheese on top and cover with a sheet of buttered parchment paper.
- Bake the strata in the center of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbling and browned around the edges. Remove the parchment and turn on the broiler. Broil for about 3 minutes, just until the top is golden and bubbling. Let rest for 10 minutes, then cut the strata into squares and serve.
Fruity sparkling wine: NV Col Mesian Nove Cento Dieci Spumante Extra Dry.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.