Momma Rochelle's Gumbo
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This thick and spicy gumbo is incredibly satisfying. It's rich with pieces of andouille sausage and chicken breast, and best with a bowl of steaming rice and hot sauce, for serving.
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage or spicy kielbasa, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 pound okra, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each), lightly pounded
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Steamed white rice and hot sauce, for serving
- In a large pot, combine the oil and flour and cook over moderately high heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery, bell peppers and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, thyme and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Add the andouille and okra and simmer over low heat until the okra is broken down and the gumbo is thickened, about 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
- Preheat a grill pan or light a grill. Brush the chicken with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice it crosswise.
- Spoon the gumbo into shallow bowls. Top with the chicken and scallions and serve with rice and hot sauce.
Make Ahead The gumbo without the chicken can be refrigerated overnight.
Minerally, peach-scented Grenache Blanc.