Molten Chocolate Cakes
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for the ramekins
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large whole eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- Unsweetened cocoa and confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter six 4-ounce ramekins and dust with flour.
- In the top of a double boiler, melt the butter with the chocolate. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar, whole eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the flour.
- Scrape the batter into the ramekins and bake for 10 minutes, or until the sides of the cake are set, but the center is still slightly loose. Let the cakes cool for 1 minute, then run a thin knife around the sides and invert them onto plates. Dust the cakes with cocoa and confectioners' sugar and serve.
These rich molten chocolate cakes topped with vanilla ice cream are delicious paired with a wine that has super-ripe tannins. Look for a South African Shiraz with blackberry fruit deepened by notes of bitter chocolate and sweet oak.