- SERVINGS: 4 TO 6
Mole Verde, or just "Verde" for short, is the lightest and freshest-tasting of Oaxaca's "seven moles." Fresh herbs (rather than spice accents) are what distinguish mole verde -- a puree of green herbs has to be added at the last minute.
- 8 whole cloves, or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 jalapeÑo chiles
- 6 large tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh marjoram sprigs
- 6 cups chicken or pork stock
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fresh masa, or 6 tablespoons masa harina mixed to a smooth paste with 1 cup water
- 1 medium-size bunch flat-leaf parsley
- Eight 6-inch sprigs of fresh epazote or 1/4 cup crumbled dried epazote
- 3 large or 5 medium fresh hoja santa leaves, or 5 dried leaves
- In an electric coffee grinder or spice mill, or in a mortar, grind the whole cloves and cumin together. In a blender combine the ground spices with the chiles, tomatillos, onion, garlic, thyme, marjoram, and 1/2 cup of the stock. Blend on high until smooth, about 2 minutes. 2. Put the remaining stock in a large saucepan and bring to a boil; adjust the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Add the puréed mixture to the hot stock and cook for 3 minutes.
- Thin the masa by mixing it with 1 cup water. Whisk the thinned masa into the sauce and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Cook uncovered over low heat for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally. If lumps form, strain the sauce through a medium-mesh sieve, pushing with a spoon to force the lumpy bits through. The sauce should thicken to the consistency of whipping cream; if necessary, raise the heat slightly to reduce and thicken it.
- Put the parsley, epazote and hoja santa in a blender or food processor; if using a blender, add a few tablespoons of water to facilitate blending. Process until smooth. Add the puree to the sauce and bring back to a simmer. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.