- 1 1/2 cups dried split fava beans (9 ounces), picked over and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 quart water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped dill
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, combine the fava beans with the onion, 1/4 cup of olive oil and the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the fava beans are falling apart, about 1 hour; as the beans thicken, toward the end of cooking, stir more frequently to prevent sticking.
- Pass the bean mixture through a coarse sieve into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and stir in 1/4 cup of the dill. Lightly oil a 4-cup soufflé dish or bowl and scrape in the fava bean puree; smooth the surface. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To unmold the bean puree, invert the soufflé dish onto a large plate and shake to release the puree. Drizzle the puree with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of dill and the scallions.
The molded fava bean puree can be refrigerated for 2 days.
1/4-Cup Serving Calories 89 kcal, Total Fat 3.6 gm, Saturated Fat 0.5 gm, Protein 4 gm, Carbohydrates 10 gm.