- 6 ounces thinly sliced boiled ham
- Softened butter, for brushing
- Six 6-inch-long soft baguettes or heros, split lengthwise
- Yellow mustard, for brushing
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced Mojo-Marinated Pork Shoulder, or store-bought roast pork
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 3 half-sour dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Heat a large cast-iron griddle or panini press. Add the ham slices to the griddle and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned in spots, about 1 minute. Transfer the ham to a plate.
- Generously butter the cut sides of each baguette and toast on the griddle over moderate heat until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the baguettes to a work surface and generously brush the cut sides with mustard. Layer the ham, pork, Swiss cheese and pickles on the baguette and close the sandwiches.
- Generously brush the out-side of the sandwiches with butter and set them on the griddle or press; if using a griddle, top the sandwiches with a large baking sheet and weigh it down with heavy cans or a cast-iron skillet. Cook the sandwiches over moderate heat until they're browned and crisp on the outside and the cheese is melted, 3 minutes per side on a griddle or 3 minutes total in a press. Cut the cubanos in half and serve hot.
Fresh, nicely hoppy pale ale.