- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 quarts water
- One 15-ounce can borlotti or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Juniper Grissini
How to make this recipe
- In an enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil. Add the celery, onion and leek and cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the farro and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the grains are coated and shiny, 30 seconds. Add 1 quart of the water and the beans and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add the carrots and the remaining 1 quart of water. Cover and cook over low heat until the carrots are tender, 30 minutes. Add the peas, cover and cook until tender, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, top with the basil and serve with Juniper Grissini.
Ripe, fruity Italian Sylvaner.