Mixed Salad with Bacon, Blue Cheese and Pecans
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves (3/4 pound)
- 8 thick slices of bacon (4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of sugar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches of watercress (3/4 pound), tough stems discarded
- 1 pound arugula, tough stems discarded
- 1 head of frisée (1/2 pound), torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large carrots, coarsely shredded
- 6 ounces blue cheese, such as Maytag, crumbled (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pecans in a pie plate and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the mustard, garlic and sugar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a very large bowl, toss the watercress, arugula and frisée with the carrots and toasted pecans. Pour half of the dressing over the greens and toss. Add the blue cheese, bacon, avocado and the remaining dressing and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.