Mixed-Olive Tapenade Pizza
- SERVINGS: Makes two 10-inch pizzas
As an easy way to add variety to her hors d'oeuvre course, Giada De Laurentiis uses at least two other pizza toppings besides the classic tomato-mozzarella, like this one with olive tapenade and another with rosemary and sea salt. If you have two pizza stones, or one large one, you can bake two pizzas at a time.
- Two 1/2-pound balls of Pizza Dough or thawed frozen pizza or bread dough
- Flour, for dusting and rolling
- 3/4 pound mixed black and green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, mashed
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and crushed red pepper
- Set a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in the bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 550°, allowing at least 30 minutes for the stone to heat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll 1 ball of dough into a 6-inch round. Turn the edges of the dough up slightly to form a lip, then stretch the dough out to a 10-inch round. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured pizza peel or upside-down baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the olives, anchovy fillets, garlic, rosemary and 2 tablespoons of the extra-virgin olive oil. Season the tapenade with kosher salt and crushed red pepper.
- Brush the pizza dough with 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and slide it onto the hot stone. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden and crisp; poke the dough to deflate any bubbles while baking. Remove the pizza from the oven and spread half of the tapenade over it to within 1/2 inch of the rim. Bake the pizza for 2 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges or squares. Repeat with the remaining dough and tapenade.
A refreshing sparkling wine will balance the saltiness in the pizza toppings. Turn to a sleek Italian Prosecco, such as Zardetto di Conegliano Brut. Or try a nonsparkling, high-acid aromatic white with savory flavors.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.