- 2 large garlic cloves
- 8 lightly packed cups basil leaves
- 2 lightly packed cups flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup lightly packed mint leaves
- 1 cup roasted nuts, such as walnuts, smoked almonds, pine nuts or pistachios
- 3 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for packing
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (1 cup)
In a food processor, chop the garlic. Add the basil, parsley and mint and pulse until chopped. Add the nuts and oil and pulse until a smooth paste forms. Add the butter and cheese and pulse until incorporated. Season with salt.
Spoon the pesto into five 1/2-pint canning jars or airtight plastic containers. Tap lightly on a flat surface to release any air bubbles. Pour 1/2 inch of olive oil on top of the pesto. Seal the jars and refrigerate for up to 2 months or freeze for up to 6 months.