- 2 zucchini (1/2 pound each), cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 yellow squash (1/2 pound each), cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed, brown gills scraped out
- 3 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 pound Italian fontina cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. Brush the zucchini, yellow squash, portobellos, tomatoes and onion with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the thyme and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are lightly charred, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a boil. Add the fontina and cook over low heat, stirring, until creamy, 2 minutes. Stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Strain the <em>fonduta</em> through a fine sieve and pour it into a pitcher. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the vegetables with the chives and serve the <em>fonduta</em> on the side.