Mixed Grill with Fresh Tomato-and-Pepper Salsa
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus overnight marinating
- SERVINGS: 6
To accompany his wood-roasted beef short ribs, leg of lamb and chorizo, Marcelo Betancourt serves a simple salsa, called criolla, which he makes by marinating tomatoes, onions and bell peppers overnight in lemon juice and olive oil. In addition to the grilled meats here, the salsa is excellent with any grilled fish or poultry.
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 medium tomato—halved, seeded and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb roast
- 1 1/2 pounds flanken-cut beef short ribs (cut across the bones), about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh chorizo or hot Italian sausage
- In a large bowl, combine the onion with the tomato, bell peppers, olive oil and lemon juice. Add a large pinch each of salt and pepper and mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir in the parsley and bring to room temperature before serving.
- Light a grill. Season the lamb and short ribs with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes. Grill all of the meats over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until the short ribs are browned and cooked through, about 12 minutes; the chorizo is cooked through, about 15 minutes; and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the lamb registers 130° for medium-rare, 25 to 35 minutes, depending on thickness. Transfer the meats to a platter to rest for 5 minutes.
- Season the salsa once more with salt and pepper. Carve the grilled meats and serve the salsa alongside.
This impressive mixed grill is delicious with a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.