- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup blanched almonds (5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon wildflower honey
- 2 large Bosc pears—peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound mixed greens (16 cups)
- 1/4 pound goat blue cheese, crumbled (3/4 cup)
In a medium bowl, mix the cayenne, coriander, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. In a medium skillet, heat the canola oil. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add the hot nuts to the spices and toss to coat. Spread the nuts on a plate and let cool.
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet. When the foam subsides, add the turmeric and cook over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 2 teaspoons of the honey and stir until melted. Add the pears in a single layer, season with a pinch of salt and cook, turning once, until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the pears to a plate.
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the remaining 1 teaspoon of honey. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and blue cheese, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Top with the spiced almonds and pears and serve.