Mixed Greens with Goat Cheese and Pecans
- SERVINGS: 8
The washed and dried greens, as well as the cleaned scallions, can be wrapped in paper towels and refrigerated in plastic bags for up to two days.
Terrific Green Salads
- 1 cup pecan halves (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 4 ounces pepperoni (optional)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, preferably red leaf
- 2 bunches of watercress, large stems discarded
- 6 ounces fresh, tangy goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pecans on a small baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. gradually whisk in the oil.
- Just before serving, thinly slice the scallions and the pepperoni. Tear the lettuce and watercress into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Add the scallions, pepperoni and pecans. Shake the dressing, drizzle it over the salad and toss well. Crumble in the goat cheese, toss again and serve.
Make AheadThe pecans and dressing can be stored separately in covered jars for up to 2 days.