Mixed Greens with Goat Cheese and Pecans
- SERVINGS: 8
The washed and dried greens, as well as the cleaned scallions, can be wrapped in paper towels and refrigerated in plastic bags for up to two days.
- 1 cup pecan halves (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 4 ounces pepperoni (optional)
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, preferably red leaf
- 2 bunches of watercress, large stems discarded
- 6 ounces fresh, tangy goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the pecans on a small baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper. gradually whisk in the oil.
- Just before serving, thinly slice the scallions and the pepperoni. Tear the lettuce and watercress into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Add the scallions, pepperoni and pecans. Shake the dressing, drizzle it over the salad and toss well. Crumble in the goat cheese, toss again and serve.