© Con Poulos
Mixed Grains with Green Beans and Crispy Bacon
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
The great shortcut here is the packaged rice-and-grain blend. Instead of cooking them separately, all the grains cook in one pot in the same amount of time.
Slideshow: More One-Bowl Rice Dishes
- 1 cup rice-and-grain blend, such as SooFoo
- 6 ounces smoky slab bacon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice-and-grain blend with the bacon cubes and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over very low heat until the grains are tender and the water is absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes, depending on the brand. Scrape the grains into a medium bowl. Slice the bacon cubes in half.
- Meanwhile, steam the green beans until they are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over high heat until crispy, about 2 minutes. Add the green beans, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Scrape the mixture into the grains and toss. Season with salt and pepper and serve.