- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Sugar, for rolling
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
How to make this recipe
- make the dough In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons of butter with the sugar and egg yolk until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat at low speed until evenly moistened, about 2 minutes. Using your hands, knead once or twice to bring the dough together.
- make the filling Butter a 9-inch square metal baking pan. Pat three-fourths of the dough into the baking pan in an even layer. Roll the remaining dough into 36 small balls. Roll the balls in sugar, transfer to a wax paper–lined baking sheet and press the balls to 1/4-inch-thick rounds with the bottom of a glass. Refrigerate the crust and rounds for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- make the filling In a microwave-safe bowl, cover the cranberries with water and microwave at high power for 1 minute, just until plump. Drain, pressing out the water; let cool slightly. Return the cranberries to the bowl and stir in the preserves and lemon zest.
- make the filling Spread the berry filling over the dough in the baking pan and arrange the rounds on top. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden. Let the square cool completely.
- make the filling Run the tip of a knife around the edge of the baking pan. Cut the square into 18 bars and serve.
The bars can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.