Mixed Berry Mosaic
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
This colorful mosaic of seasonal berries suspended in a glistening Moscato d'Asti jelly is fragrant and refreshing. The aspic needs to set for 6 hours or overnight, so plan accordingly.
- 2 1/2 cups Moscato d'Asti
- 1/2 cup water
- Four 3-inch strips of orange zest
- Four 3-inch strips of lemon zest
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 32 small strawberries, hulled and quartered
- In a medium saucepan, mix the Moscato with the water and orange and lemon zests and bring to a simmer. Cover, then remove from the heat and let steep for 10 minutes. Strain and let the infused Moscato cool to warm.
- Pour 1 cup of the infused Moscato into a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin on top and let stand until softened. Set the saucepan over moderate heat and stir until the gelatin has completely dissolved, about 2 minutes; do not let the Moscato get too hot. Stir the dissolved gelatin mixture into the remaining Moscato and let cool.
- Set eight 1/2- to 2/3-cup glass bowls on a baking sheet. Ladle 2 tablespoons of the Moscato into each bowl and refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Layer the berries in the bowls, starting with the blueberries, then ladle the remaining Moscato over the berries. Refrigerate until firm, 6 hours or overnight.
- Pour boiling hot water into a wide bowl and carefully dip each glass bowl into the hot water for about 10 seconds to loosen the aspic. Invert the aspics onto dessert plates and serve.
A sweet, fruity Moscato like the one used in this dessert is the best choice here.