© Con Poulos
Mixed-Bean Crudités with Olive-Anchovy Aioli
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- Pinch of salt
- 6 plump oil-packed anchovies, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pitted green olives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed beans, such as string beans, haricots verts, romano beans, Dragon Tongues, yellow wax beans and purple beans
- On a cutting board, mash the garlic with the salt to a paste. Add the anchovies and mash to a paste. Scrape the paste into a bowl and stir in the mayonnaise, olives, lemon zest and lemon juice. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Cover the aioli with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring a large pot filled with 1 inch of salted water to a rolling boil. Spread the beans in a steamer basket and steam just until crisp-tender and the color is still vibrant, especially the purple beans (which turn green when fully cooked), 1 to 2 minutes. Immediately plunge the beans into the ice water to stop them from cooking further; let cool completely. Drain the beans and pat them dry. Transfer the beans to a platter and serve with the aioli.