- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 9 cups
The healthy ingredients—bran, wheat germ, seeds and nuts—in Alisa Barry's incredibly crisp granola belie the decadent flavor.
Party Plan Have the oat clusters ready when guests arrive so they can mix in the nuts, fruits and seeds they like best.
Note For The Gift Tag "The granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks."
Plus: Ultimate Holiday Guide
- 1 cup mixed nuts, such as almonds, pecans, walnuts, shelled pistachios and cashews
- 2/3 cup mild vegetable oil, such as peanut or canola
- 2/3 cup clover honey
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup nonfat powdered milk
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit, such as raisins, dried cranberries and dried cherries
- 1/4 cup toasted seeds, such as sunflower seeds or flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the mixed nuts on a medium rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Transfer the nuts to a plate and let cool completely. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the oil and honey over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until the honey melts, about 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the oats, wheat germ, wheat bran and powdered milk. Pour the oil and honey mixture on top and stir until thoroughly coated.
- Spread the oat clusters on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring halfway through. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Add the nuts, dried fruit and sunflower seeds to the oat clusters and toss