© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Miso-Stewed Eggplant with Shimeji Mushrooms
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Rich and hearty, these stewed eggplants with mushrooms become perfectly tender.
Slideshow: Eggplant Recipes
- 1 pound Japanese eggplant
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons miso paste
- About 6 ounces Shimeji Mushrooms
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, then cut into 3-inch long pieces.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and after the oil is hot, put the eggplant cut side down on the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes; flip the eggplant over, and cook for another 2 minutes or until the eggplant is seared.
- Stir in the onions and cook for 1 minute, or until the onions begin to brown. Add the water and miso, and gently stir to incorporate the miso paste.
- Bring up to a gentle boil, stir in the mushrooms, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the eggplant it tender. Taste for seasoning, garnish with green onions and serve.