© Line Klein
Miso Soup with Turmeric and Tofu
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Miso soup gets re-imagined by blogger Heidi Swanson, who adds earthy, brilliant yellow turmeric for additional flavor and color.
Slideshow: Healthy Soups
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and quartered
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons white miso
- Kosher salt
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- Minced chives, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the fennel, carrot, onion, garlic, peppercorns and turmeric and stir over moderate heat until evenly coated with oil. Add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Gently simmer until slightly reduced and the vegetables are soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the soup into a large bowl; discard the solids.
- Wipe out the saucepan and return the broth to it. Whisk the miso into the broth and cook over low heat, whisking, until hot. Season with salt. Stir in the tofu and simmer until the tofu is warm, about 2 minutes. Serve the soup garnished with chives.