- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup white or red miso
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 4 ounces baby spinach (4 cups)
- 3/4 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 7 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Steamed short-grain rice and toasted sesame seeds, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup of the water into the miso. In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining 4 cups of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Add the edamame, cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach in bunches and stir to wilt. Add the shrimp and tofu. Stir the miso mixture and add it to the soup. Simmer just until the shrimp are cooked through, about 1 minute. Season the soup with salt and stir in the sliced scallion. Ladle the soup into deep bowls and serve with steamed rice and toasted sesame seeds.
Fragrant, crisp American sake.