© Tina Rupp
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN Plus 2 days pickling
- SERVINGS: Makes 3 pints
Fromager Tia Keenan of New York City's cheeses, like Limburger.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, drained
- 1 cup water
- Assorted vegetables for pickling, such as 1/2 pound blanched sugar snap peas, 12 small radishes, 12 peeled baby turnips, 10 peeled baby carrots, 2 cups cauliflower florets or 1 1/2 cups cucumber slices (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large saucepan, combine the red wine vinegar, water, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, miso, horseradish, peppercorns and bay leaves and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let cool to room temperature.
- Choose 3 of the vegetables listed and pack them into 3 separate pint-sized jars. Pour the pickling liquid over to cover the vegetables; use balled up plastic wrap to keep the vegetables submerged. Close the jars and refrigerate the pickles for 2 days before serving.
Make AheadThe pickles can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.