Miso-Cured Salmon with Endive and Ginger-Pickled Shallot Salad
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Sweet and salty miso, made from fermented soybeans, is the perfect marinade for moist and meaty salmon fillets.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons red miso
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Four 6-ounce salmon fillets with skin
- One 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 Belgian endives, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup finely shredded shiso or basil leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk the water with 1/2 cup of the miso and 1/4 cup of the soy sauce. Put the salmon fillets in a sturdy, resealable 1-gallon plastic bag. Add the miso mixture, seal the bag and turn to coat the salmon. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, finely grate the ginger in a fine strainer set over a small bowl. Press to extract as much ginger juice as possible. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the rice vinegar and the shallots and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of miso with 1 teaspoon each of soy sauce and rice vinegar with the honey and sesame oil.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet over high heat for 3 minutes. Remove the salmon fillets from the marinade and pat dry. Add the vegetable oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Add the salmon fillets, skin side down and cook over high heat until the skin is well-browned and crisp, about 3 minutes; turn and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer the fillets to a rimmed baking sheet, skin side up, and bake for 6 minutes, or until medium.
- In a bowl, toss the endives and shiso. Lift the pickled shallots out of the marinade and add them to the salad. Spread the miso-honey sauce on plates. Top with the salmon fillets and serve the salad alongside.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.