- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
How to make this recipe
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream and butter and bring just to a simmer over moderate heat.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, corn syrup and water and cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Using a wet pastry brush, wash down any crystals from the side of the pan. Continue to cook, gently swirling the pan occasionally, until an amber caramel forms, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cream mixture; it will bubble up. When the bubbles subside, very carefully pour the hot caramel into a heatproof blender. With the blender on medium speed, gradually add spoonfuls of the miso until incorporated. Transfer to a bowl and let cool, then whisk in the vanilla.
The caramel can be refrigerated for up to 1 week. Rewarm before serving.
Use the miso caramel as a luxurious topping for brioche French toast or mix with soy milk for a milkshake.
Vanilla ice cream.