One 14 ounce (396g) package firm tofu, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil (or other high flashpoint oil), divided
3 tablespoons sliced shallots
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon miso paste
1/4 cup water
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Pat the tofu block dry with paper towels to remove excess water. Cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and after the oil is hot, carefully add the tofu into a single layer (hot oil may splatter). Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden and crisped. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Stir in the shallots and cook for about 1 minute or until soft.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
- Add the miso, water and black pepper, and then stir to liquefy the miso paste. Simmer for 30 seconds or until heated through.
- Toss tofu with the miso and mushrooms and serve garnished with green onions.