- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves, plus chopped mint for garnish
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, preferably fruity, for brushing and garnish
- 12 thin bacon slices (6 ounces)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. In a food processor, combine the peas with the butter, cream cheese and the 1/4 cup of mint. Pulse until nearly smooth; season the pea butter with salt and cayenne.
Brush the bread with olive oil and arrange the slices on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast the bread in the oven for about 8 minutes, turning once, until lightly golden but still chewy in the center. Transfer the toasts to a work surface; leave the oven on.
Spread each toast with about 1/4 cup of the pea butter and top with 3 slices of bacon. Arrange the toasts on the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, until the bacon just starts to render. Turn on the broiler and broil the toasts 6 inches from the heat for about 3 minutes, until the bacon starts to brown. Garnish the toasts with olive oil and chopped mint and serve warm.