- 6 ounces angel food cake, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 pint lime sorbet, softened
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Line the bottoms of four 3/4-cup ramekins with angel food cake; cut the cake as necessary to cover the bottoms evenly. Patch any empty spots.
- Spoon the sorbet into a chilled bowl. Stir in the mint, rum and lime zest. Scoop the sorbet into the ramekins and smooth the surfaces. Freeze until firm, 1 1/2 hours.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, then increase the speed to high and beat until the whites are glossy. Run a knife around the rims of the ramekins and turn the sorbet cakes out onto a work surface. Using a spatula, transfer them to a baking sheet, cake side down, at least 4 inches apart. Spread a generous amount of the meringue all over the sorbet cakes. Freeze the cakes until firm, 1 hour.
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack 6 inches from the heat. Broil the baked Alaskas for about 2 minutes, shifting the pan constantly for even browning. Carefully transfer to plates and serve.
One Serving 322 cal, 0.4 gm total fat, 0 gm saturated fat, 74 gm carb, 1 gm fiber.