Minty Lamb and Sausage Orzo with Grilled Artichokes
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Mint and lamb are a classic pairing. Grace Parisi riffs on the match by kneading mint pesto into ground lamb, grilling the patties, then crumbling them into an orzo-and-feta salad.
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Mint Pesto
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained (6 ounces)
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. In a medium bowl, mix the lamb and sausage with 3 tablespoons of the pesto. Form the mixture into eight 3-inch patties and brush with oil. Thread the artichoke hearts onto skewers. Grill the patties and artichokes over high heat until the meat is cooked through and the artichokes are lightly charred, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, salt the boiling water. Add the orzo and cook until al dente. Drain the orzo and transfer it to a bowl. Add the tomato, feta and the remaining 3 tablespoons of pesto. Remove the artichokes from the skewers and add them to the orzo. Crumble the patties into the orzo and add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, toss well and serve.
Strawberryscented rosé from Spain.