- 5 bags English breakfast tea
- 2 cups packed mint leaves, plus mint sprigs for serving
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs (see Note)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Ice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the tea bags and steep for 5 minutes; discard the tea bags. Add the mint leaves and let cool completely in the saucepan, then refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar with the cocoa nibs, vanilla bean and seeds and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let cool completely, then strain the syrup through a fine sieve; discard the solids. 3. Strain the chilled tea through a fine sieve into a pitcher; discard the mint and tea bags. Stir in the cocoa nib syrup. Serve the tea in ice-filled glasses with sprigs of mint.
Cocoa nibs are husked, roasted cocoa beans that are crushed into small pieces. They are available at specialty food shops and online at amazon.com.
The iced tea can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. The cocoa nib syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 month.