Mint Iced Tea with Cocoa Nib Syrup
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 1/2 cups
Zoe Nathan sweetens her mint iced tea with an aromatic simple syrup infused with cocoa nibs and vanilla bean. She serves the tea in mason jars, garnished with lots of fresh mint.
- 5 bags English breakfast tea
- 2 cups packed mint leaves, plus mint sprigs for serving
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs (see Note)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Ice, for serving
- In a large saucepan, bring 8 cups of water to a boil. Add the tea bags and steep for 5 minutes; discard the tea bags. Add the mint leaves and let cool completely in the saucepan, then refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar with the cocoa nibs, vanilla bean and seeds and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Let cool completely, then strain the syrup through a fine sieve; discard the solids. 3. Strain the chilled tea through a fine sieve into a pitcher; discard the mint and tea bags. Stir in the cocoa nib syrup. Serve the tea in ice-filled glasses with sprigs of mint.