Mini Ice Cream Cone Trio
- SERVINGS: 6
We love the crunch of store–bought ice cream cones; too bad the flavor sometimes resembles that of sweetened Styrofoam. That's why we're so fond of the petite homemade cookie cones here. A simple tuile batter—made with egg whites, sugar, butter, vanilla and flour—is flavored with pistachios, ginger or cocoa. Match them with the ice creams of your choice to create your own mini version of the classic indulgence.
These crisp tuile cones in three flavors are somewhat fragile, so it's best to fill them with slightly softened ice cream.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 2 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon finely grated unsweetened coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted pistachios
- Scant 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- Ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a baking sheet. In a bowl, beat the egg whites with the sugar, butter and vanilla. Add the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Divide the batter among 3 bowls. Stir the candied and ground ginger into the first bowl, the cocoa powder, coconut and salt into the second, and the pistachios and almond extract into the third.
- Scoop 6 slightly rounded teaspoons of tuile batter onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 4 inches apart. Using your index finger or the back of a spoon, spread the batter into 3-inch rounds. Bake the tuiles in the middle of the oven for about 9 minutes, or until light golden all over. Working quickly, remove the tuiles from the baking sheet with a small offset spatula and roll them around a large pastry tip to form cones; make sure the points are tightly rolled. The cones will crisp as they cool. If they firm up too fast, return them to the oven for 30 seconds to soften. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 12 more cones, cleaning and re-buttering the baking sheet between batches.
- Top each cone with a small scoop of ice cream and serve at once.