Mini Blini Napoleons
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: Makes 42 pieces
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk, plus more as needed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces caviar
- In a bowl, combine the water, yeast and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in the 1 1/2 cups of milk and the egg. Add both flours and the salt and whisk until smooth, then whisk in the 4 tablespoons of melted butter. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Set a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat and brush with butter. Pour in a scant 1/3 cup of the batter and swirl to coat the pan. Cook the blini until tiny bubbles form on the surface and the bottom is browned, 2 minutes. Carefully flip the blini and cook until the bottom is lightly browned in spots, 30 seconds. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining batter, buttering the pan and whisking in 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk to thin the batter as needed. You should have about 13 blini. Let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the crème fraîche until stiff. Spread a thin layer of crème fraîche on 8 or 9 blini and stack them; top with a plain blini. Trim off the rounded edges of the stack and cut into 1-inch squares. Dip a layered side of each square into the chives and set them on a platter. Dollop caviar on top and serve.
Light, lemony sparkling wine: NV Adami Garbèl Prosecco.