- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 brioche buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, tomato slices and pickles, for serving
In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until deep golden, about 40 minutes. Add the water and scrape up any browned bits. Cook until the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Season the caramelized onion with salt and pepper; keep warm.
Gently shape the sirloin into four 1-inch-thick patties. Season generously with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil. Cook the burgers over moderately high heat until deep brown outside and medium-rare within, about 6 minutes per side. During the last 2 minutes, top the burgers with the cheese and cover loosely with foil so the cheese melts. Transfer the burgers to the buns, top with the caramelized onion and serve with a side of lettuce, tomato and pickles.