- 1 tablespoon white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 ounce shallot (about 1/2 large shallot), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or other spicy chile powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cucumber, cut in half crosswise then each half cut into quarters
How to make this recipe
Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rice and toast, stirring constantly, until the rice turns barely golden, about 4 minutes. Turn the rice into a bowl and let cool. When cool, pulverize in a clean spice grinder or coffee mill, or with a mortar and pestle.
In a small saucepan, dissolve the salt and sugar in the water over medium heat. Add the pork and simmer, stirring frequently, until the pork is just cooked, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the shallot, lime juice, cayenne, fish sauce, mint, cilantro and the reserved rice powder. Place the pork salad on a platter and serve with cucumber spears.