- 1 pound red beets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, medium dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup millet
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the beets in a roasting pan, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour, until the beets are tender. When cool, peel and trim beets, dice, and set aside.
- Bring the vegetable stock and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- In large saucepan, sauté onion and garlic over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the millet and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook 1 minute.
- Add stock mixture to millet 1 cup at a time, stirring occasionally, and adding more stock once it has been absorbed, about 30 minutes total. Once the millet is al dente, remove from the heat and stir in beets, butter, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Season with salt and pepper, top with ricotta, and serve.
The beets can be roasted up to two days ahead. Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate.
If eating a gluten-free diet, be sure to use gluten-free stock.