- 10 small turnips (3/4 pound), peeled
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, peeled
- Six 2-inch baby onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon French walnut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 6-ounce heads of Bibb lettuce (8 cups)
- 3 ounces baby spinach (4 cups)
- 4 baby bok choy (6 ounces), thickly sliced crosswise
- 3 small kirby cucumbers (1/2 pound), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 cup packed small basil leaves
- 1/2 cup lightly packed small chervil or parsley sprigs
How to make this recipe
Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the turnips and boil over moderate heat until just tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the turnips to a platter. Repeat with the carrots, cooking them for 3 minutes, and then the onions, cooking them for 2 minutes. Refrigerate the vegetables until chilled. Halve the turnips and thickly slice the onions.
In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, walnut oil and mustard and season with salt and pepper.
In a large salad bowl, toss the Bibb lettuce with the spinach, bok choy, cucumbers, basil, chervil sprigs and the cooked vegetables. Add the vinaigrette, toss to coat and serve.
The cooked vegetables can be refrigerated overnight.