- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup raw Wehani Rice, rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups homemade vegetable stock or water
- 1 pound waxy potatoes, such as red bliss or Yukon Gold, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese and chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
- Soak the porcini in the boiling water until softened. Drain, reserving the liquid; chop the mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir briefly. Add the rice, bay leaves, pepper, stock and the reserved porcini soaking liquid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover partially and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat until the rice and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add the salt and simmer for a few minutes more. Ladle the soup into bowls and pass the cheese and parsley at the table.
Pair with an earthy California Pinot Noir.