- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds flank steak (about 3/4 inch thick)
- 6 Italian rolls, halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 to 3 jalapeñoshalved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Coffee Barbecue Sauce
In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool, then grind coarsely in a mortar or a spice mill.
In a shallow glass baking dish, combine 1/4 cup of the oil with the honey, vinegar, garlic, chile powder, black pepper, coriander, cayenne and ground cumin. Add the steak, turn to coat with the marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lightly toast them on the grill.
Remove the steak from the marinade and season with coarse salt. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a carving board, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
Spread the lettuce on the rolls and top with the jalapeños. Slice the meat across the grain and set it on the jalapeños. Spoon the Coffee Barbecue Sauce on the meat and serve at once.