Mexico City Sandwiches
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
At Washington, DC’s year-old, eco-focused Sundevich, all the sandwiches are served on baguettes and named for cities around the world. One of chef-owner Ali Bagheri’s best choices is this indulgent breakfast-style sandwich, made with over-easy eggs topped with Gruyère, avocado, baked ham and smoky chipotle butter.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced, plus 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce from the can
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 soft demi baguettes, split and toasted if desired
- 1 medium tomato, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- 8 thin slices of Gruyère cheese ( 1/2 pound)
- 1 small Hass avocado—peeled, pitted and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 8 thin slices of baked ham (6 ounces)
- In a small bowl, thoroughly blend the butter with the minced chipotles and adobo sauce and season with salt and pepper. Spread the chipotle butter on both cut sides of the baguettes. Arrange the tomato slices on the bottom halves of the baguettes.
- Heat a griddle or a very large nonstick skillet. Add the olive oil and, when it’s hot, crack in the eggs. Cook over-easy over moderate heat, turning once halfway through cooking, about 1 1/2 minutes. Season the eggs with salt and pepper and top each one with a slice of the Gruyère cheese. Set 2 eggs on the tomatoes on each baguette bottom and top with the sliced avocado and ham. Close the sandwiches and serve right away.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.