Mexican Tortas with Black Beans and Chorizo
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Mexican bolillo or telera rolls (see Note), or kaiser rolls, split
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- 1 Hass avocado, thinly sliced
- Shredded romaine lettuce and sliced pickled jalapeños, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the chorizo and cook over moderate heat, stirring to break up any lumps, until the meat is browned and no trace of pink remains, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and, using a potato masher, mash until creamy. Cook, stirring often, until hot, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, cover and keep warm.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over moderately high heat. Using your hands, pull out some of the bread from the centers of the rolls to create a small cavity. Brush the cut sides of the rolls with vegetable oil. Transfer the rolls, cut sides down, to the griddle and cook until toasted, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook for about 1 minute longer, until slightly crisp. Transfer to a work surface, cut sides up.
- Spread the tops of the bolillo rolls with the goat cheese. Spread the bottoms with 2 cups of the mashed black beans; reserve the remaining beans for another use. Top the beans with the avocado, lettuce and pickled jalapeños. Close the sandwiches, cut in half and serve.
Make AheadThe chorizo-and-black-bean filling can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently before using.
NotesBolillo and telera rolls, the two classic breads for Mexican tortas, are 6-inch-long oval rolls that are similar to hoagies or soft baguettes; telera rolls are slightly flat. Both types of rolls are available at Latin supermarkets.
Foods as rich and earthy as black beans and chorizo might work well with a lighter-style Bergundy Pinot Noir, but these tortas are probably best with a cool, malty Mexican beer like Negra Modelo or Dos Equis Amber.