Mexican-Style Chicken with Penne
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 3/4 pound penne rigate
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch dice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 pound queso blanco or mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente. Drain the penne.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened and the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes, chipotle and adobo sauce and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the corn, season with salt and pepper and cook until the corn is heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add the penne and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the sauce and toss to coat. Add 1 cup of the queso blanco and toss. Transfer the pasta to bowls, sprinkle with the remaining queso blanco and the cilantro and serve.