Mexican Spice-Rubbed Rib Eyes with Lime Butter
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
For this intensely flavorful rib eye steak from chef Bernie Kantak, Malbec.
More Grilling Recipes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- Four 12-ounce, 1-inch thick, boneless rib eye steaks
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, lime zest, lime juice and a pinch of salt. In another bowl, combine the paprika, cumin and chipotle powder with 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Rub the mixture all over the steaks.
- Oil the grate and grill the steaks over moderately high heat, turning once, until slightly charred and medium-rare, about 12 minutes. Transfer the steaks to plates and top with the lime butter. Let the steaks stand for 3 to 4 minutes before serving.
Malbec has a floral aroma that is marvelous with the spice rub and the puckery lime butter that melts into the juicy beef. Kasperski also points to the huge strides in quality that Argentinean wineries have made in recent years.