Mexican Eggs in Purgatory
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
For the Italian breakfast dish Eggs in Purgatory, eggs are baked in a spicy tomato sauce. In this Mexican-inspired take, Grace Parisi substitutes a vibrant, fresh green sauce made with tomatillos, cilantro and scallions.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked
- 1 poblano or jalapeño, stemmed and seeded (see Note)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 3 scallions, coarsely chopped, plus sliced scallions, for garnish
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated Cotija cheese or crumbled feta, plus more for garnish
- Warm corn tortillas, for serving
- Preheat the broiler and position a rack about 8 inches from the heat source. In a blender or food processor, add the husked tomatillos, poblano, chopped cilantro, chopped scallions and chicken broth and puree until smooth.
- In a large, shallow flameproof casserole or skillet, cook the bacon in the olive oil over high heat until the bacon is browned, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the tomatillo puree and cook over moderate heat until the sauce is thickened and dull green, about 15 minutes.
- Using the back of a spoon, make 8 depressions in the tomatillo sauce. Remove the casserole from the heat and carefully crack the eggs into the depressions. Sprinkle the eggs and tomatillo sauce with the 2 tablespoons of Cotija cheese. Broil the dish until the egg whites are set but the egg yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes. Garnish with more Cotija cheese and the sliced scallions and serve right away with warm corn tortillas.
The green tomatillo sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring the sauce to room temperature before adding the eggs.Notes
For an extra-spicy dish, leave the seeds in the peppers.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.